RSMS: Australia’s Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

Australia’s Subclass 187 visa is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa for skilled workers who are willing to work in regional Australia for a period of time, before becoming free to move to any area of their choice. The visa requires nomination by an approved Australian employer and then a visa application must be made.
This visa provides Australian permanent residence. You can be inside or outside Australia when you apply. If applying in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C when you apply for the Subclass 187 visa.
Under some circumstances, a far wider selection of skilled occupations may be open for Australian migration under this scheme than under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) Subclass 186 visa. This wider selection of occupations is due to needs of specific employers in regional areas of Australia, for employees that they cannot find among the existing Australian workforce. So if you are willing to live for at least some time in a regional area where your skill is greatly needed, you may be able to obtain permanent residency in Australia  via an occupation that would not qualify under any of the other skilled work visa schemes.

The areas of Australia that qualify for migration under the RSMS scheme include may country areas, but also a number of larger urban centres and state and territories’ capital cities, including Canberra, Perth, Hobart and Darwin.

The Subclass 187 visa has three possible streams under which to apply:
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
The Direct Entry stream is for:
People who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream,
People who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia,
Temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
The Agreement stream is for people nominated by an employer through a labour agreement. (Source

If you are a skilled worker or an Australian employer in need of skilled or semi-skilled workers for your business, this visa scheme is well worth your consideration.

Want more information? Call us: +612 80910883

Michele Clayton
Migration Agents Registration Number 0957773
Legal Practitioner NSW 55486


Leave a Reply